Many people cannot receive help towards the cost of their care because of the level of their income, savings and other assets. While this seems unfair, it does give self-funded people complete freedom of choice. It is worth consulting a financial advisor to identify the most suitable method of paying your fees, especially if you are considering investments or annuities. We will happily explain your funding options, but are unable to give any advice.

Some people are eligible for partial funding from their local county council because their income, savings and other assets are low or inaccessible. On application, the council will assess your income, savings and other assets to establish your own contribution towards the cost of care. This amount is known as the Client Contribution and is part of the total funding agreed by the council.

In the vast majority of cases, council funding levels are below our fees. The balance is known as a “third-party top-up” and is payable monthly in advance. This normally has to be paid by someone other than the resident.

It is sometimes possible to extract higher funding levels from the local authority, particularly if there is a good reason why you need to come to our home rather than somewhere cheaper. Theoretically, the local authority is responsible for paying the market rate for the room if it cannot find a suitable placement at its standard rate. Given the financial climate it has become increasingly difficult to secure higher funding levels, but we will be glad to offer more information upon request.